|In 1928, Irwin Wagner, known as
the "father" of changeable copy letters, started
Wagner Sign Service. The company started out as a
sign maintenance company, cleaning and maintaining
outdoor signs. Being a leader in product
development, Wagner Sign Service developed the
concept of changeable copyboard letters in the
early 1930's. The letters were originally made of
an assortment of readily available materials
ranging from glass to aluminum to wood. In 1942,
the company invented the first injection molded
The successors to the Irwin Wagner estate sold
Wagner Sign Service to the 3M Company (Minnesota
Mining and Manufacturing) in 1971. During the 3M
ownership, the need to expand the product line was
recognized and Zip-Change Manufacturing Company of
Yakima, Washington was purchased in 1975. The
premier 3-dimensional Wagner letter now had a
partner in the Zip-Change flat letter. The
customer now had a choice to offer their customers
both letter styles and accessories from a single
In March of 1981, the company
was purchased by Jack Bercier and the name was
changed to Wagner Zip-Change, Inc.
Today, the privately owned company sells its'
products: Zip-Change flat letters, the Wagner
slotted dimensional letters, Zip-Lite reverse copy
letters, Plastic Formed letters, Wagner stainless
steel marquee frames, Jewelite letter trim and a
large selection of sign accessories
internationally from its' corporate office in
Melrose Park, Illinois.
A new service the company has undertaken is the
custom printing of plastic sheet goods. From
single color to multi-color printing capabilities,
Wagner Zip-Change can custom print up to a 4' by
8' flat sheet to meet your requirements.
Wagner Zip-Change continues to expand its’ product line and screen printing capabilities with the addition of the ZipVision product line of LED Electronic Message Centers and Gas Price Changers.